PE and Sport Premium
PE and Sport at Roger Ascham: Including Impact of Sports Premium
Our school aim is to encourage children to think for themselves; guide them towards acting in the best interests of us all. We try to ensure that every area of our school’s curriculum helps to achieve this aim, including PE.
Physical Education at Roger Ascham enables all children to develop and apply physical and creative skills alongside a knowledge and understanding of health and fitness to achieve personal progress and personal best. Children will develop their agility, balance, coordination and the fundamental movement and sports skills as well as healthy competition and cooperative learning to lead a healthier and active lifestyle. They will also have the opportunity to achieve and have fun!
Our PE Curriculum will provide all children with:
- Two hours of high quality core physical education each week during curriculum time;
- An opportunity to attend an extra-curricular club each half term;
- Swimming lessons in years 3 and 4 – so they learn to swim before they have the freedom at home of being allowed to ‘play out’;
- The knowledge and understanding to lead an active healthier lifestyle;
- The opportunity to regularly compete in intra-school competition.
It will provide some children with:
- The opportunity to compete in inter-school and intra-school competitions;
- Participation in a Young Sports Leader programme;
- The opportunity to act as Sports Ambassadors leading and organising competitions and mini sports events;
- Access to gifted and talented clubs and programmes in the local area
At Roger Ascham we employ a full-time a specialist PE teacher and sports coach. We also employ coaches in athletics, core skills, dance and karate.
PE and Sports Premium
This extra funding is being allocated directly to primary schools from the government.
The purpose of the funding is to:
- raise teachers’ skills in teaching PE;
- involve qualified sports coaches in PE lessons;
- improve PE and sports resources in schools;
- run sports competitions and increase participation in Schools Games;
- support and involve the least active children in sports clubs.
This year Roger Ascham will receive just over £10 000 in additional PE Premium funding.
The school already allocates funds for a specialist PE teacher and coach, swimming pool hire and 10 hours per week of specialist coaching at an annual cost of over £75 000.
As well as the above, additional funding from the PE premium has already or will be spent in the following ways: